Subject: Informatics Competition BEBRAS for High School Students Year 1, 2 & 3
We would like to inform you that our school participates in the 4th Informatics Competition BEBRAS for Primary School Students which is organized by the Cyprus Computer Society (www.ccs.org.cy ) and the Informatics Teachers Association (www.sykapcy.com) and is approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Athletics and Youth. Participation in the competition is free.
The first round of the competition will take place during the period 8 – 23 December 2023 and will be executed over the internet. The top fifty students of the first round, from each class/grade, will be invited to participate in the second round. In case you proceed to the second phase, please contact Med High schools for guidance. An awards ceremony will also be organized on a date and at a venue to be announced shortly. The deadline for registration is December 6th.
In order to participate, students will have to follow the steps below on the competition platform at www.bebras.org.cy :
- create an account; by providing a unique email address, first name and last name
- register in the competition; by providing parent/guardian name, contact telephone number and selecting school name, class/grade and competition.
Please note that the Cyprus Computer Society maintains all student data strictly confidential, exclusively for the purposes of the competition only and they do not share it with any third parties.
This is an interesting activity that promotes 21st Century Skills such as analytical thinking and algorithmic skills, problem solving skills, team spirit, collaboration and communication amongst students, teachers and parents.
The uniqueness of BEBRAS lies to the facts that:
- it does not require any prior knowledge learnt at school and challenges the children’s brain to think logically and systematically
- students can execute the competition at their home.
- it lasts for two weeks and can be attempted at any convenient time and
- it runs on any device that has a connection to the internet (laptop or desktop computer, tablet or smart phone (although not recommended)
- participants will receive the digital certificate of participation in their account on the platform.
We recommend that students practice with sample competitions (found at www.bebras.org.cy/en/practice) to familiarize themselves with the competition environment and the types of questions.
We encourage you to advise your child to register and participate in this exciting and fun competition! As a parent you may create an account on the BEBRAS platform and register your child yourself; please note that a unique email address is required for you and each student.
Please do not hesitate to contact the organizers for more information or help at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Mrs. Christina Papamiltiadou at email@example.com at the number 22460680 and the website of Bebras Cyprus (www.bebras.org.cy) for full details.
Andreas Pyrgos (ICT teacher)
Cc Elena Mouzourou (Principal)